FAQ Regarding Medical Abortion with Mifepristone or Mifeprex
- How far along in the pregnancy can I be?
Up to 8 weeks (49 days) for best success (97%). Success rates decrease as the pregnancy advances.
- How long does it take?
- A minimum of 2 visits, but it may take as many as 5 visits.
- Take mifepristone on day 1.
- Take misoprostol pills buccally (allowing the pill to dissolve inside the mouth between the cheek and gum, or under the tongue) on day 2, or insert the misoprostol vaginally 24 hours after you take mifeprex in the clinic.
- It usually takes several hours for the abortion to occur.
- Follow-up schedule two weeks from first appointment.
- How painful is it?
From mild to very strong cramping off and on throughout the abortion (commonly a 4 to 6 hour period). Pain pills are prescribed for use as needed.
- How much will I bleed?
Heavy bleeding and passing clots is common during the abortion. Afterwards, lighter bleeding is common from 9 to 14 days longer.
- How much does it cost?
Please call for prices.