Why do Women Stay with Men who Batter?
Many battered women remain in a destructive and dangerous relationship because:
- They lack self-confidence, or have low self esteem.
- Some women feel ashamed of having been beaten, and don’t want to admit it.
- She is “standing by her man” and feels that loyalty trumps safety.
- Some women believe that the man will change.
- Women often worry that they cannot support themselves and their children.
- Many women accept a man’s apologies and promises that it will never happen again.
- Often women are made to believe that they somehow deserved, or caused the violence.
- Eventually a woman gets worn down, feel powerless and helpless.
Sometimes emotional can hurt as much as physical violence. In some cases emotional abuse involves name calling, or accusations, screaming at you, it can also involve controlling your money or actions. Some women are not allowed to work, or go out with their friends. Sometimes women are made to believe that their partner will take the children away. All of these behaviors are considered emotional abuse.